Use the following tips to make steam cleaning easier, safer and more productive. There are no set rules, so experiment with your attachments such as your steam mop system.
Working efficiently – plan your work
• Assess the job. Changing brushes & attachments can slow you down, so try to clean everything that will use the same brush at one time. Use smaller brushes first before moving to larger brushes.
• To ensure a deep clean have readily available adequate dry towels and steam mop heads.
• Work from the top down to prevent dirt and drips falling onto clean surfaces.
• Speed hard surface work where you need to do a two-step process (scrub and clean) by scrubbing 1 to 3 square metres. Steam vacuum dry or wipe away with a suitable microfiber cloth, cotton cloth or industrial paper towel immediately if your cleaner isn’t fitted with a vac system.
• You can throw a towel on the floor and mop it over the cleaned area using the brush.
• You can use industrial paper towels (sometimes called ‘wipes’) that can be thrown away instead of cotton towels – especially advisable when cleaning bathroom floors to avoid handling towels that might have urine on them.
Clean as you go
• A surface will be twice as clean if you don’t permit the cleaned area to dry before wiping.
• All surfaces – even glass and metal – have pores. Superheated dry vapour steam works by enlarging the pores, allowing the release of trapped dirt and grease.
• Wipe off dirt & grime immediately to prevent it from sinking back into the pores and becoming trapped.